Sunday, April 29, 2012

Neon Water Marble!

I LOVE water marbles but they are probably the hardest thing that I have ever attempted to do nail art wise.  They take a certain level of skill, and even after that they are still so temperamental that sometimes they don't even work out.  I would by no means say that I am the master of marbles, but I have done a few cool ones in the past, and I think the one that I have for you guys today came out halfway decent.  Below I will write out a step by step tutorial, but I don't have many pictures to go along with it because I was to concentrated on getting mine done right! haha also there are many amazing videos on YouTube from other bloggers that will give you a great visual on how to complete this process.

For this marble I used China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy, China Glaze Celtic Sun, and Orly Blue Collar.  I also used Wet n Wild French White Creme as a base for the marble to go on top of.


I started off with two coats of Wet n Wild French White Creme as a base for the marble.  It's always good to use a base color when you do marbles so that the colors show up as much as they can.  Even though you use a lot of polish in a marble it still only equates to one coat of polish when it is on your nails.  The white helps bump up the opacity of the polish.


The next thing I do is tape up my fingers.  When you stick your fingers in the water to get the design on you will end up with a lot of the excess polish all over the skin on your fingers.  The tape helps with the clean up.  The polish will end up on the tape and not on your skin.  I put tape at the base of my nail and on the sides of my nail and also one piece on the top and it gives you pretty  good protection from the polish in the water.

Now we get to the tricky part.

You will need a disposable cup or bowl of some sort, or a glass or bowl that you won't mind it it gets messed up. filtered room temperature water, and a toothpick.

1.  Fill your bowl/ cup with room temperature filtered water.
2. Start to make your bulls eye.  You do this by adding drops of polish to the water.  For example for mine I did drops in the order of Yellow, Pink, Blue, and kept repeating that until there was no more room in the bulls eye. And remember to work quickly the polish will dry on the surface of the water and become hard to draw in if your don't.
3. After your bulls eye is made take your toothpick and draw your design in the water.
4. Once content with the design line your finger up over the part of the design that you would like to show on your nail.
5. Dunk your nail in the water keeping it level with the surface of the water.  If you just point your finger into the water it will distort the design.
6. Use your toothpick to clean the excess nail polish off the surface of the water before you take your nail out.
7. Take nail out of water, remove tape, and enjoy.
8. Repeat these steps on the rest of your nails.

The end result will hopefully look something like this:


I am very happy with the way that mine came out.  Luckily the polishes I chose spread out well together in the water and the design look good on my nails.  It took me over 1 hours to finish the design on all my nails, but it think it was well worth it.  I can't wait to try out some different marbles in the future!

Have your ever tried a water marble? Tell me about your experience by leaving a comment here, on Facebook, or tweet me @Polish_Paradise.






No comments:

Post a Comment